Skip to main content

All shall kneel!

Cheat less console play-through, got very lucky with all three kings joining another kingdom after the destruction of their own. Didn’t have to save scum much just had to chase them all down to the edge of the map 🫩😭 submitted by /u/samuraiweebs [link] [comments]

PoP - feedback on late game, thoughts on balancing Custom Knighthood Orders

Firstly, let me say PoP is one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had, and everyone involved in its development and support should be very, very proud of themselves!

Let me also express what I think everyone is thinking, which is that Custom Knighthood Orders are game-breakingly powerful in the late game. The conventional wisdom would say the right response is to nerf them. To that I say...

NO!

I think CKOs and their ludicrous level of power is a beautiful, unique thing, and it should be retained more or less as-is. They are balanced in the sense that it takes an equally ludicrous amount of time, effort, money, strategy and prestige to get them there.

But they are unbalanced in two other ways:

  1. Their costs (upkeep and prestige multipliers) do not scale with their power
  2. The AI has no response to them whatsoever

I will address these below:

Costs

I would recommend updating the unit's level based on its calculated auto-resolve values, whenever these are updated. This would mean the upkeep costs scale based on the unit's power, and it will continue to do so in future if somebody makes changes to auto-resolve calculations or upkeep costs by level. The upkeep cost of units is still important in the late game because you've done such a brilliant job of keeping the financial side challenging right until the end.

I would also have the prestige factor (1.3x by default?) scale between 1.0 and open-ended, also based on calculated auto-resolve power. 600 weapon proficiencies really should carry a cost of at least 2x, maybe 3x, and higher should be higher!

I would also change the way honour reduces the prestige costs of upgrading units. At present, at 350 honour, I am paying 10 and 4 for Knights and Sergeants, respectively, and this is hilariously cheap in the late game. I would consider the following:

  1. At the very least, apply the prestige factor AFTER the honour reduction, so that 1.3x means I am still paying 13 and 5 at a minimum, and if we're scaling then really great Knights will have a minimum cost of 20 or 30.
  2. I would seriously consider scaling the honour required by raising it to the power of the prestige factor divided by two plus one (or something), so that really powerful knights need a vast amount of honour to bring their costs down, and you never stop wanting more honour.

Obviously these numbers are totally up for debate and experimentation, but at the very least here is a model whereby the various costs of the units scales with their power.

Ludicrously powerful units will be ludicrously expensive, giving them a bit of balance. Fielding an army of hundreds of CKO Knights will be much harder to do, and the player will likely remain cautious about throwing them into meat grinder battles because their recruitment costs also remain significant.

AI Response

The late game, if the player has gone the CKO route, devolves into a series of brutal smackdowns - field battles you can F1-F3 like you're swadian knights, and sieges where the defenders charge down the ladder at you because staying in the fortifications means being sniped to death by the hundred. The only challenges that remain are the elf lords, Eyegrim, and to a lesser extent the dread legion. This is utterly awesome, but it would be cool if the remaining kings and lords gave a bit more a fight rather than just being wet tissue paper.

I would consider the following options; some may be relatively quick/easy to implement, once the player's kingdom controls a third or more of the fiefs on the map:

  1. If the player has a custom CKO, the AI will attempt to establish a Knighthood Order Chapter in every walled fief it owns that does not already have one. This will mean the player is more often facing Order knights in sieges and field battles, and more of them.
  2. Once the player's CKO reaches a certain level, the AI begins buying upgrades to the Knighthood Orders it has chapters for in its walled fiefs. You could scale these based on the difficulty setting, with the hardest setting meaning lords will try to the match the player's CKO power. By the late game, lots of lords have hundreds of thousands or even a million dinars banked, meaning they can afford upgrades and afford to field the more powerful troops themselves.
  3. Beyond a certain CKO level, lift the caps on Order Knights and Sergeants generated for both garrisons and for Lord's warbands. You could try tying this to the calculated prestige factor above, with a multiplier for difficulty, as a starting point for debate/testing.

These changes would provide a good deal more of a challenge from rival kingdoms and lords in the late game, while leveraging the existing content and the rainbow of generated CKO orders the AI Lords establish.

Some lords will be able to afford these changes, while it would bankrupt others, but I think that's realistic. Faced with extinction, a Kingdom should be willing to spend its last dinar in its defence.



Submitted September 20, 2019 at 05:17AM by LudicrousIdea https://ift.tt/2LI3u9D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dickplomacy Reloaded 1.30, now with prostitution! (and tons of bug fixes, and the floris banking system.)

Full change list: Troop recruitment presentation by MitchPTI Ability for female player to prostitute themselves by IntelligencePending Dancers in feasts by IntelligencePending Modification to pre-sex scene by IntelligencePending Compile bug fixes by IntelligencePending Consolidation of camp settings menu by IntelligencePending Camera bug fix by IntelligencePending Moved shipyard to bottom of town list (Contrib by IntelligencePending) Mouse mode death cam default by IntelligencePending Slows down movement during scenes by IntelligencePending Updated background for gambling by IntelligencePending Join any side of a battle by NaglFaar Zaitenko's Reinforcement Script by Zaitenko Door bug fix by IntelligencePending Disguise bug fix by IntelligencePending Can force companion to stay without cheat mode by LilyModzStuff Import/Export NPCs by IntelligencePending Shield bash and decapitation, AI kicking by Ramaraunt, Xenoargh, Papa Lazarou, Theoris, Zarthas, Thick1988, and...

Optimal weapons in Smithing (Forging): a second, deeper (?), look - Blades/Heads + Guards/Banners and Accessories. Bit of a letdown

Hello everyone.It’s been one month since part 1 was released (This one https://www.reddit.com/r/Bannerlord/comments/12yqhq5/optimal_weapons_in_smithing_forging_a_first_look/ ).I’m here posting again to go forwards in the established direction from part 1.There will be a TL;DR section at the end. A little recap is in order: last time we crafted every single possible weapon in Bannerlord, but ignoring guards, pommels, grips, accessories (From now on, "Parts 2/3/4")... and only switched between different blades/heads ("Parts 1"), which I expected to determine the overall worth of the item much more than the other parts (This proved to be the case, according to today's data).Furthermore, there were no changes in size at all, so all components were crafted only in standard size. Again, I've updated the Google drive folder I've been using up until now. It contains a series of screenshots detailing the weapon's name (Which in turn is a combination of the...

Help with the Subreddit's new Guide! Guide is in the Description and Link in the Comments⬇️

So I got the go-ahead to write a guide for the Mods to post and pin on top of the sub and while my 3000+ hours of Bannerlord and wide experience with speedrunning this quest covers a lot, I am sure that I might have missed some neat tips and tricks. Please also tell if there if something that needs closer clarification with more text or an image. The Bannerlord's Guide to Unite the Empire Written by Octavian_Exumbra So you want to unite the Calradian Empire? Well, my child, this is no simple matter. Many great rulers have attempted to Unite the quarrelling descendants of Calradios the Great under one cause and most have failed, so steel yourself great warrior for today you... I'm just messing with you. It's actually a fairly simple process, so let's just dive right into it. New Campaign: Starting off, we're picking Empire culture. When it comes to skills, you have more liberty, but if we want to do this as effectively as possible then we're mainly focusi...