Skip to main content

Bannerlord's greatest features are your imagination and your own fantasy - How to enjoy Bannerlord again

Why I Still Love Bannerlord Despite Its Flaws Hello everyone I've been thinking about this for a while, and I wanted to share it with anyone who enjoys Bannerlord, or wants to enjoy it more. If you're already having fun throughout the entire game, that's great. This post probably isn't aimed at you. But if you've ever felt that Bannerlord has incredible potential yet somehow loses its magic after the early game, maybe this perspective will help. I completely understand the criticism the game receives. Bannerlord could have been so much more. The quests become repetitive, diplomacy lacks depth, and many of its mechanics never evolve as much as they could. The early game is exciting, the mid game starts to slow down and the late game often turns into a grind. I agree with all of that. And yet... I still enjoy every stage of the game. The reason is simple; I don't rely on the game to tell my story. I create one myself. To me, Bannerlord feels less like a tra...

Bannerlord's greatest features are your imagination and your own fantasy - How to enjoy Bannerlord again

Why I Still Love Bannerlord Despite Its Flaws

Hello everyone

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I wanted to share it with anyone who enjoys Bannerlord, or wants to enjoy it more.

If you're already having fun throughout the entire game, that's great. This post probably isn't aimed at you. But if you've ever felt that Bannerlord has incredible potential yet somehow loses its magic after the early game, maybe this perspective will help.

I completely understand the criticism the game receives. Bannerlord could have been so much more. The quests become repetitive, diplomacy lacks depth, and many of its mechanics never evolve as much as they could. The early game is exciting, the mid game starts to slow down and the late game often turns into a grind. I agree with all of that.

And yet... I still enjoy every stage of the game.

The reason is simple; I don't rely on the game to tell my story. I create one myself.

To me, Bannerlord feels less like a traditional strategy game and more like a tabletop RPG. The mechanics provide the framework, but my imagination fills in everything between them.

When I first started playing, I treated it like any other strategy game. I optimized my character, rushed through quests, chased armies across the map and focused on expanding my kingdom.

I got bored very quickly.

Without a story connecting everything, every quest started feeling the same. Every campaign became another checklist. The mechanics alone weren't enough to keep me invested.

So I changed the way I approached the game...

Building a Character Instead of a Build

Before I even create a character, I open Notepad and write a short backstory.

Who were his/her parents?
Are the parents still alive, or did they die?
What shaped his/her personality?
How did my character grow up?
What do he/she actually want?

Once I know who the character is, every decision follows naturally.

Instead of choosing backgrounds because they give the strongest bonuses, I choose the ones that make sense for that person. If he grew up helping his father in a blacksmith's workshop, then that's the background I take. Not because it's optimal, but because it fits.

Turning Mechanics Into Stories

A simple bandit hideout isn't just another quest.

Instead, I imagine a handful of inexperienced recruits walking through the darkness, nervous before their first real fight. The battle becomes less about collecting loot and more about protecting nearby villages and earning the trust of the people.

Those choices also influence how I build my army.

My current character is fiercely loyal to the Empire, so he mainly recruits Imperial troops. It's less efficient at times, but it feels consistent with who he is.

Giving Purpose to the Mid Game

Right now my character serves as a mercenary for the Southern Empire.

Mechanically, I'm simply earning influence and money.

In my own story, however, he doesn't actually support Rhagaea. He believes the Empire has been torn apart by ambitious rulers, and he's using their resources to build the army he hopes will reunite it one day.

The mechanics stay exactly the same.

The context changes everything.

Slowing Down

I also stopped rushing through the map.

When I reach cities like Lycaron or Rhotae, I actually enter them instead of immediately opening the town menu. I walk through the streets, listen to the ambient sounds, and take in the atmosphere. It makes Calradia feel like a place instead of a collection of menus.

The same applies to battles.

Instead of instantly pressing F1-F3 and charging, I take the time to position infantry, place archers on favorable ground, and hold cavalry back until the right moment. Bannerlord isn't a perfect military simulator, but approaching battles like an actual commander makes them far more memorable.

Keeping a Chronicle

One thing that made the biggest difference was keeping a simple journal.

I have a Notepad document open while I play where I record major battles, important decisions, companions I've lost, rivalries I've developed, and the overall journey of my character.

Over time it becomes less like a save file and more like a historical chronicle. It's also fun to read afterwards. I already have a finished novel about a character from the Battanian culture. I'm no professional writer by any means, but it brings a smile upon my face when I bring back the memories of that playthrough and then, being able to read it like it actually happened in real life.

Victories feel earned - Defeats actually matter - The campaign develops its own identity.

What About Mods?

A lot of people will probably say, "Just install mods."

And they're right. Mods can absolutely improve the experience.

But even in vanilla, I think imagination does something mods can't. It gives meaning to mechanics that would otherwise feel repetitive.

Personally, I only like lore friendly mods. Mods that give deeper diplomacy and offer quality of life features.

With that said, if you do love modding Bannerlord, then please do. You might even be able to use this imagination and using your fantasies with these mods as well.

One Final Tip (Optional) - Audio related

And for the people that want to take it a step further, I have one extra tip which is fully optional: If it's within your budget, investing in a good pair of headphones and a quality DAC/amp can make a surprisingly big difference to immersion. People often focus on graphics, but great audio is just as important. Hearing the wind across the plains, the clash of steel, the distant battle cries, or simply the ambience of a bustling town can make Calradia feel far more alive. It won't change the game's mechanics, but it can make the world feel much more believable and engaging. Being an audiophile, a good headphone is definitely not overkill for gaming. I experienced this myself. It will also make every game you own a lot more fun.

Recently, I made the switch from a traditional gaming headset to a proper pair of high quality headphones (from the brand Meze Audio), combined with a dedicated DAC and amplifier, and the difference in immersion was honestly surprising.

I also started using Equalizer APO together with the Peace GUI, which is one of the most powerful and flexible equalizer tools available on PC, and the good news is that it is free! No payment needed, no free trial, no monthly subscriptions.

It allows you to finetune your headphones to your own preference. For example, many audiophile headphones have a more balanced and natural sound signature rather than the exaggerated bass that many gaming headsets use, but with a small, carefully adjusted bass boost, you can get the best of both worlds.

The biggest difference is that the bass quality is on another level. A good pair of headphones doesn't just produce more bass but also produces cleaner, deeper and more controlled bass with better impact and texture. The feeling of a massive battle, the rumble of cavalry charging, or the atmosphere of a cinematic soundtrack becomes much more realistic compared to a typical gaming headset.

Of course, you don't need an expensive audio setup to enjoy Bannerlord. But if immersion is something you value, upgrading your audio can transform the way you experience the game. Graphics create the world you see, but audio creates the world you feel.

Final Thoughts

In short:

The game's mechanics give me a foundation, but my imagination fills in everything the game can't show. As I play, I naturally start daydreaming about what's happening beyond the mechanics. I picture the conversations between my companions while we're traveling across Calradia, the thoughts running through my character's mind before a battle, the atmosphere inside a crowded Imperial city, or the tension of waiting for an enemy army to appear over the horizon.

When my army marches across the map, I don't just see icons moving from one settlement to another. I imagine weeks of travel through forests, mountains, and open plains. I think about soldiers sitting around campfires at night, sharing stories, sharpening their weapons, and wondering whether they'll survive the next battle. When we enter a town, I imagine the noise of the marketplaces, the smell of food being cooked, merchants arguing over prices, and ordinary people simply trying to live their lives while kingdoms wage war around them.

The same happens during battles. Before the fighting even begins, I imagine the uncertainty on both sides, commanders making last-minute decisions, recruits trying to hide their fear, and veterans preparing themselves for another brutal clash. A victory becomes more than just numbers on a results screen, and a defeat feels like a genuine setback rather than simply losing troops.

None of this is shown directly by the game. It's all happening in my own head while I play. Instead of focusing only on menus, statistics, and mechanics, I constantly imagine the story unfolding behind every decision.

I play the game very slowly and I take it all in.

If you've ever found yourself loving Bannerlord's world while getting tired of its gameplay loop, try treating it less like a game you're trying to beat and more like a story you're trying to tell.

Of course, this approach won't be for everyone, and that's perfectly okay. Everyone enjoys games in their own way. I simply wanted to share the mindset that completely changed Bannerlord for me. If it helps even one person see the game from a different perspective and enjoy it a little more, then writing this was worth it.

Anyways...

Thanks for reading. Stay safe and healthy, and have a great day everyone.

submitted by /u/Dxrkwave
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dickplomacy Reloaded 1.30, now with prostitution! (and tons of bug fixes, and the floris banking system.)

Full change list: Troop recruitment presentation by MitchPTI Ability for female player to prostitute themselves by IntelligencePending Dancers in feasts by IntelligencePending Modification to pre-sex scene by IntelligencePending Compile bug fixes by IntelligencePending Consolidation of camp settings menu by IntelligencePending Camera bug fix by IntelligencePending Moved shipyard to bottom of town list (Contrib by IntelligencePending) Mouse mode death cam default by IntelligencePending Slows down movement during scenes by IntelligencePending Updated background for gambling by IntelligencePending Join any side of a battle by NaglFaar Zaitenko's Reinforcement Script by Zaitenko Door bug fix by IntelligencePending Disguise bug fix by IntelligencePending Can force companion to stay without cheat mode by LilyModzStuff Import/Export NPCs by IntelligencePending Shield bash and decapitation, AI kicking by Ramaraunt, Xenoargh, Papa Lazarou, Theoris, Zarthas, Thick1988, and...

Optimal weapons in Smithing (Forging): a second, deeper (?), look - Blades/Heads + Guards/Banners and Accessories. Bit of a letdown

Hello everyone.It’s been one month since part 1 was released (This one https://www.reddit.com/r/Bannerlord/comments/12yqhq5/optimal_weapons_in_smithing_forging_a_first_look/ ).I’m here posting again to go forwards in the established direction from part 1.There will be a TL;DR section at the end. A little recap is in order: last time we crafted every single possible weapon in Bannerlord, but ignoring guards, pommels, grips, accessories (From now on, "Parts 2/3/4")... and only switched between different blades/heads ("Parts 1"), which I expected to determine the overall worth of the item much more than the other parts (This proved to be the case, according to today's data).Furthermore, there were no changes in size at all, so all components were crafted only in standard size. Again, I've updated the Google drive folder I've been using up until now. It contains a series of screenshots detailing the weapon's name (Which in turn is a combination of the...