Skip to main content

Fire arrows

Hello, Im playing Bannerlord War Sails, 0 mods right now, true vanilla, If i add fire arrows, will the current save crash? I think it would be nice to see them at night siege submitted by /u/308_Negra_ArroyoLane [link] [comments]

A licensing question: part of Warlords appears to use cRPG's GPL-licensed code

I'm not part of either team — just someone who cares about open-source modding and went looking into something. I want to be careful and fair, so to be clear up front: this is about one specific component, not a claim that the whole mod is copied.

The short version

cRPG is open-source under the GPLv3. Anyone can use its code — the only condition is that if you ship it, your project stays open-source and you credit the original. Warlords is closed-source, and it ships one component copied from cRPG: the friendly-fire reporting system (the thing that tracks team-hits, lets victims report, and kicks repeat offenders). The internal structure is cRPG's, just with the visible chat messages reworded.

Most of Warlords is its own work — this is about that one system, nothing more. I'd rather undersell it than overstate it. And if I've gotten something wrong here, Warlords devs — I'd genuinely want to hear it; this isn't meant as an ambush.

Why I'm confident

The right way to test "did B copy A" on a shared engine is to subtract the engine first: only count things that exist in cRPG and Warlords but not in the base game (otherwise every mod looks alike, since they all build on the same TaleWorlds code).

The friendly-fire component carries 17 such cRPG-invented names — method names cRPG coined like GetReportedTeamHitBreakdown, DecayAllReportedHitsFromUser, and CheckAndMarkDecay — none of which exist anywhere in Bannerlord itself. Seventeen invented names, all friendly-fire-specific, in one file. That's not coincidence.

The clearest single piece is a little helper class called TeamHitRecord — same name, same fields, same invented CheckAndMarkDecay method with the same logic in both mods. Warlords reworded the chat strings but left the skeleton — and the skeleton is cRPG's.

Why this is worth raising at all

It's one component — so why bother? Because this is a small modding community, and it runs entirely on trust and goodwill. GPLv3 is about as generous as a license gets: it costs nothing, asks for no money, and lets anyone use the code — the only thing it asks is that you keep it open and credit the author. If we collectively shrug at a violation of a license that asks for nothing, we've quietly decided licenses don't mean anything here. That's the slippery slope — the next person has even less reason to honor the next license, and eventually nobody shares anything openly because there's no point.

And it's worth noticing a double standard. If someone shipped another modder's hand-made map, custom models, or sound work without permission, people would be upset — and rightly so. Open-source code deserves the same respect, even though it's less visible. If anything it's the gentler case: this isn't really "theft" — cRPG is open source, free for anyone to build on, the Warlords devs included. An open license is actually more generous than the "all rights reserved" sitting on most maps and models — it lets you use the work at all. The only catch is the single condition attached to that freedom: keep it open, and credit the author. That's the part that wasn't honored — and a license that costs nothing and asks for so little isn't a reason to treat it as optional; it's a reason it should have been easy to respect.

On the "it was mostly AI" point

One of the Warlords devs has been open about leaning on AI heavily, so I'll address it directly: it doesn't change anything. Copyright is about the output, not the tool. And the evidence actually shows how the AI was used — a model writing genuinely independent code would never reproduce cRPG's exact invented method names. Those only survive if the real source was fed in and lightly edited. Keeping the structure but rewriting the visible text is what an automated rename pass looks like, not a fresh reimplementation.

What I'm asking

Nothing punitive. Don't harass anyone. This is a normal, fixable GPL situation:

  1. Credit cRPG for the code that came from it, and
  2. Comply with the GPL for that component — release its source under the same license, or replace it with an original implementation (not by running cRPG's code through a model again).

I'd also genuinely welcome TaleWorlds' view on this — it's happening on their platform, in their ecosystem, and they clearly understand licensing (their own game ships full attribution for the open-source libraries it uses, including LGPL ones). A word from the platform holder on redistributing GPL code stripped of its license would help settle the norms for everyone.

Full technical writeup, with the exact identifiers, the side-by-side code, and checksums of the analyzed build so you can verify it yourself: https://github.com/ImperialAuditor/wl-crpg-gpl

cRPG's maintainers are the ones whose work this is, so I'm flagging it mainly so they're aware. What happens next is theirs to decide — and honestly, my hope is just that it gets resolved by complying with the license. Nothing more than that.

I've tried to keep this factual and constructive rather than a pile-on, and I'm hoping it can stay a civilized discussion.

submitted by /u/ImperialAuditorPrime
[link] [comments]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help with the Subreddit's new Guide! Guide is in the Description and Link in the Comments⬇️

So I got the go-ahead to write a guide for the Mods to post and pin on top of the sub and while my 3000+ hours of Bannerlord and wide experience with speedrunning this quest covers a lot, I am sure that I might have missed some neat tips and tricks. Please also tell if there if something that needs closer clarification with more text or an image. The Bannerlord's Guide to Unite the Empire Written by Octavian_Exumbra So you want to unite the Calradian Empire? Well, my child, this is no simple matter. Many great rulers have attempted to Unite the quarrelling descendants of Calradios the Great under one cause and most have failed, so steel yourself great warrior for today you... I'm just messing with you. It's actually a fairly simple process, so let's just dive right into it. New Campaign: Starting off, we're picking Empire culture. When it comes to skills, you have more liberty, but if we want to do this as effectively as possible then we're mainly focusi...

Detailed Mariner Unit Analysis/Tier List for Campaign

TL;DR Tier List. These are my personal notes and I acknowledge it is just my opinion, just posted to hopefully help others S: Imperial Naute A: Battanian Skipari, Vlandian Nauta, Nord Huscarl, B: Sturgian Reaver, Nord Berserkr, Aserai Bahriyyah, C: Corsair Chief, Nord Skjaldbrestir, Nord Chosen of the Sky-God, Sea Raider Chief D: Various Convoy Guards, Nord Ulfhedinn, F: Nord Youngling Testing is done in actual campaign as well as using custom battles and the Retinue mod to look directly at stats/equipment. General Observations: Shields are required, otherwise you get shredded by ranged attacks. Skills and ship upgrades can boost shield health massively, with some like the Nord Decorated Shield crossing 2,000 hp! I've seen Huscarls with 20+ Javelins in their unbroken shield at the end of a battle. You can assume the high tier shields will not break in battle, meaning a single high damage hit creeping through is the best means of ranged attack rather than quantity. For ra...

Prophecy of Pendor - Early Game Guide

I love PoP and think it's the best thing since Sliced Person, but the early game is bloody brutal, especially if you're used to kicking ass and taking names in M&B vanilla. So I wanted to write an early game guide to share my experience and hopefully help someone else get into the mod without as much agony as I (and many others) experienced. Character Creation - Questions When you start character creation, the game hits you with a bunch of background story questions. My advice is to answer these however you like, building the backstory for your character that interests you and helps get you into the story. However , these questions have serious impacts on the game, most critically whether you can create Knights of the Griffon chapters with just money, and something called the Rumor Interval which sounds irrelevant but is the most important thing ever . For a deep read on the subject see the wiki https://pop3.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Creation Or for a quick "Just...